The Best Turkish Beers Ever: Think Twice Before Ordering One
Beer is the most popular tipple in Turkey. Even though the traditional alcoholic beverage of Turkey is rakı, youngsters mostly prefer to consume different kinds of beer. So, today, we would like to list the best Turkish beers that you can find anywhere.
The reason why beer is the most common tipple in Turkey instead of rakı is probably because it has a smooth taste. And what’s more, its alcohol ratio is relatively low. Therefore, people mostly prefer to drink beer to relax in chats with friends, on dates, or when people are alone.
The Best Turkish Beers That You Will Love
The best beer brands in Turkey consist of local, national, and international companies. Each beer brand is distinguished from the other by its different alcohol percentages, ingredients, and drinking. While making the best Turkish beer brands list is hard as it varies from person to person, it is still possible to talk about an accepted average. So, let’s take a look at the best Turkish beers and their notable features together!
The 6 Best Turkish Beers
We can basically divide beers into two different forms. Ale beer and lager beer refer to different fermenting conditions and flavor ratios. Ale beers generally have a more bitter and intense flavor. While lager beers, on the other hand, are light-drinking tipples with a fruity taste. In Turkey, people mostly prefer pilsner beer.
Check it out: Traditional Turkish Beverages
In this type of beer, we can say that malt and bitter taste stand out more. The best beer brands, of course, are not limited to ale and lager. With many sub-fermented varieties, each beer creates its own characteristics. Here are the top beer brands:
6- Gara Guzu
The beer has a really interesting story. A couple that moved to Muğla from Istanbul in 2009 started to produce this brand here. It is mostly a boutique beer brand rather than a commercial one. The beer basically has 8 different kinds.
- Gara Guzu Blonde Ale: Beer with a dark golden color, intensely roasted taste. It is produced from a blend of English and German malts. The alcohol content is 5%.
- Gara Guzu Amber Ale: It tastes like caramel. It is obtained from the blend of American, English, and German hops.
- Gara Guzu Red Ale: It contains pine honey, colored with beetroot. The alcohol rate is 7%.
- Gara Guzu Sour: It is a slightly sour, Saison-type beer. The alcohol rate is 5.5%.
- Gara Guzu Karlı Kayın Ormanı (Snowy Beech Forest): Spicy winter ale. The alcohol rate is 6.4%.
- Gara Guzu Weissebier: It is made from a blend of wheat and barley malts. The alcohol rate is 4.7%.
- Gara Guzu Summer IPA: Caramel and orange-flavored, easy to drink. The alcohol content is 4.5%.
- Gara Guzu Gara: Porter type, roasted, burnt sweet beer. The alcohol rate is 6.4%.
5- Pablo Beer
The beer produced in Bodrum is named after the owner’s dog. There are 4 varieties: Pablo Pilsener, Pablo K Limited Amber, Pablo Weissbier, and Pablo American IPA.
The word ‘zıkkım’ has kind of a scornful meaning in Turkish slang. However, the beer has a great smooth taste that you will want to bear this insult. There are 3 main varieties of this beer:
- IPA Zıkkım: Alcohol content is 5%
- Weiss Zıkkım: Alcohol content 4.9%
- Deep Zıkkım: Alcohol content 8.5%
3- Pera Beer
It is the beer brand that the former CEO of Tuborg and the owner of the Park Group of Companies started to produce in a brewery they bought in Çerkezköy. There are 5 basic varieties in various alcohol percentages.
- Pera 1A Malt: 100% malt. The alcohol content is 4.1%
- Pera 2: Amber Ale. The alcohol content is 5%
- Pera 3: Smoked lager. The alcohol content is 5%
- Pera 5: Hefeweizen. The alcohol content is 5%
- Pera 6: Beer with gum and cinnamon.
Just like Efes Pilsen, it is Anadolu Group that produces Bomonti beer. However, in some places, we can see Bomonti surpassing Efes Pilsen. Especially in bars & pubs, young people frequently prefer Bomonti beer. The biggest reason for this is its balanced alcohol ratio and soft drinking feature. Thanks to its light formula, even someone who has never had a beer before can enjoy this taste. The alcohol content of Bomonti beers varies between 4.3% and 5.8%.
- Bomonti Fabrika: A lively lager with dense foam, produced from barley malt. The alcohol rate is 4.8%.
- Bomonti Red Ale: A medium-bodied ale with intense foam. The alcohol rate is 5.3%.
- Bomonti Black: Stout-style beer made from a blend of four types of barley and wheat malt. The alcohol content is 4.5%.
1- Efes Pilsen
No one can think of a list that contains the best Turkish beers without specifying Efes Pilsen. It is Turkey’s own and beloved brand of beer. Well, Efes Pilsen is the most preferred beer brand in Turkey. The alcohol content of beers varies between 3% and 7.5%. Especially recently, alcohol consumers are pleased with the +1-beer series and the rested special beer series. It ranks first among domestic beer brands in terms of sales volume. Efes Pilsen beers do not have a very bitter taste, but the taste of barley malt and hops is dominant.
So, Efes Pilsen also has different kinds with different alcohol percentages.
- Efes Light: It has 40% fewer calories. The alcohol percentage is 3%.
- Then, Efes Dark: Alcohol content is 6.1%.
- Efes Dark Brown: Coffee flavored dark beer.
- Efes Extra: It is a high alcohol beer. 7.5%.
- And, Efes Extra Shot: Shot beer in 237 ml can. The alcohol rate is 9%.
- Efes Unpasteurized: It is bottled fresh without being pasteurized. Shelf life is two months. The alcohol content is 5%.
- Efes Brewmaster White Ale: The most refreshing beer of the Brewmaster series. The alcohol content is 5%.
- Efes Brewmaster Red Ale: High-bodied, weakly flavored beer compared to other Brewmasters. Alcohol content 5.2%.
- Efes Brewmaster Amber Ale: Alcohol Rate 5.2%.