Have you ever heard of Kumpir? Are you familiar with the delicious member of world-famous Turkish cuisine? Whether or not you haven’t heard of it yet, you should. Or else, better to put it like this: you must!
Alright! Let’s start with what does it really mean? I mean “Kumpir”s literal meaning. This delicious Turkish street food means stuffed baked potatoes. As for starters to kumpir, once you take them out of the oven, you cut the potato and open them.
Then, it is time to mix the soft potato inside together with butter and cheese until it’s smooth and creamy. After that, you are free to add anything you like… What do you have then? You have incredibly delicious Turkish street food and all you have to do is to enjoy your dish!
What’s Up with Kumpir?
Kumpir, or with its internationally known name stuffed baked potato, is one of the most popular Turkish street foods. It is a great combination and meets of butter and cheese. What about the question of where to eat the best Kumpir? Or, where is the most famous place to eat Kumpir?
Where to Eat the Best Kumpir?
Well, when you think of this delicious Turkish stuffed baked potato, the first place that comes to mind is Ortaköy, Istanbul.
Ingredients: What do You Need to Make This Recipe?
- Mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream
- Green onions
- Chargrilled (fire-roasted) Capsicum (peppers)
- Think of anything you like…
The Story of Delicious Kumpir
Although Kumpir is used as the equivalent of the word “potato” in some parts of Anatolia, it is actually a dish made by mashing baked potatoes.
Kumpir’s story is very new. In Yugoslavia, potatoes cooked in aluminum foil and filled with salad are called “krumpir“. The potato, which the British ate with sauce, was a brand-new product when it was brought to Turkey in 1991, filled with rich appetizers unique to Turkish cuisine. First of all, it spread rapidly here in Turkey, then spread over other countries.
How to Cook Stuffed Baked Potato (Kumpir)?
- First, pierce each potato quite a few times with a fork, then wrap each one in aluminum foil.
- After that, you need to place potatoes on a baking tray and bake for an hour or until tender.
- In the meantime, you are supposed to combine butter and garlic then set aside.
- The following step is to pan-fry chopped bacon then also set it aside.
- After an hour, you need to test it to see whether or not the potatoes are cooked. You can, by the way, check this by inserting a toothpick through the foil into the potato to see if the process is complete.
- What is next? You should allow cooling slightly, then make a slice through the center of each potato, about halfway through. By using a fork, fluff up the soft potato flesh inside. By doing so, you will be doing your best to keep the skin intact.
- After that, you had better place garlic, butter, and some cheese, you decide what Turkish cheese you prefer, into the slit along with salt and pepper. Then, mix them together with the potato flesh.
- Finally, you are going to add the remaining cheese and mix until the center of the potato is creamy and smooth. Then, go have fun with your yummy Kumpir!
Well… Hope you like our Kumpir recipe. Share your comments with us as soon as you try the recipe and tell us whether or not you like it!
Enjoy your food!